Re: Implement C11 annex K?

On 10-08-2014 04:52, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> On 08/09/2014 10:51 PM, David A. Wheeler wrote:
>> I may have someone who'd be willing to develop and submit at least a portion of ISO C11 annex K.  The glibc front page says that glibc "follows all relevant standards including ISO C11 and POSIX.1-2008".  Should I presume that such a submission would be considered, and accepted if high enough quality?  Or would annex K (strcpy_s and friends) be automatically rejected, even though it's in the standard?  If implementing the standard would be automatically rejected, then I don't want to waste this person's time.
>>
>> I think annex K *should* be supported by glibc.
>
> Please see the archives of this mailing list for previous discussions
> about these functions. This is something we rejected previously but I
> don't recall the details,
>
> Andreas

Last iteration to add C11 annex K in GLIBC was from Ulrich Bayer [1] and it
got stalled not because GLIBC maintainers decided this is not worth of adding,
but because the proposer didn't send any more updates based on comments.

So you can take this initial approach as base for your work or if you are willing
start a new thread/implementation. However, keep in mind that since GLIBC is
community driven project, it will probably require a lot of iterations of
submission and revisions.

[1] https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2013-06/msg00208.html