Re: glibc-2.20 status - 2014-07-30

On 09/08/14 01:23, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On 8 August 2014 20:41, Joseph S. Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jul 2014, Allan McRae wrote:
>>
>>> * blockers
>>>    - -Wundef  (is there place to track the status of this?)
>>
>> I see no sign of any activity on this in the past week.  We're more than a
>> month behind schedule - can we please just freeze?  Freeze delays should
>> only be for something user-visible - not anything purely internal about
>> build warnings - and only where there is significant active work (if it's
>> freeze time and there are unresolved problems with a recent change and no
>> active work on fixing them, the default should be to revert the change and
>> work getting it back for the following release).  -Wundef should not have
>> occasioned a freeze delay unless patches posted *by the end of June* were
>> substantially complete and satisfactory for resolving all the warnings,
>> with only a few revisions needed following review.
>
> I had taken up responsibility for this and I've now narrowed it to two
> changes: one to the IS_IN_* scheme and the other for the _POSIX_*
> macros.  I've been working on them on and off last week in between a
> lot of NMIs, but I don't have anything useful to show yet.
>
> Roland and I had agreed at the Cauldron that we ought to get this
> closed in 2.20 lest it remains languishing forever, but if there's
> disagreement on that then maybe it needs to be discussed.  Either way,
> I can commit to not letting them languish too long after 2.20 even if
> 2.20 freezes right now if that helps.

I had kept this as a blocker based on Roland and Carlos pushing for it.
There needs to be input from them on this before I remove it.

Note that the s/390 ABI blocker was only fixed a week ago so we are not
delay much specifically by this yet. Also, any real freeze was not going
to happen until after Cauldron.  I'm cutting a tarball today to get the
translation in progress.

Siddhesh: am I right in assuming that these patches would be
non-intrusive (i.e. code unchanged) so that I would be happy including
them post freeze?

Allan