merged roland/nptl

I've committed the changes that were on the roland/nptl branch (and removed
that branch).  I've rebased the nptl-hppa and nptl-ia64 branches, which
still need attention from machine maintainers.  Builds on those two
machines are probably broken.  Everywhere else we think it's good, but
please test it!  I've verified on i686-linux-gnu, x86_64-linux-gnu, and
arm-linux-gnueabihf that no significant changes in compiled code result
from the merge.

A clean build from scratch will probably be required for everybody,
because lots of files have moved around.

If you were previously using explicit --enable-add-ons=nptl or the like,
you probably need to make sure that nptl does not appear in the list.  If
you use the recommended --enable-add-ons (no =foo) then it should be fine.

Thanks,
Roland