Re: Security impact of nscd and NSS module bugs (particularly NIS)

On 07/03/2014 09:30 PM, Roland McGrath wrote:
nscd crashes would only mean degraded service.  Depending on the
service it is caching, the degradation may range from insignificant to
quite serious.

That's the first-order effect.  It also means that individual applications
start loading NSS modules directly when they weren't before.  Combined with
NSS module bugs, that could expose otehr security-relevant bugs that were
masked while nscd was running.

That's why I mentioned nss_ldap. :-)

But your comment suggest to me that an nscd crash would generally be fairly limited in impact and not as annoying as, say, a hanging syslog process (which tends to take down the entire system eventually).

If nscd crashes and unwanted in-process NSS module fallback is a concern, maybe we could add some construct that once nscd has been started first, fallback is disabled? Would that make sense?