Re: The 2.20 release code freeze is very near

On 07/02/2014 06:05 AM, Allan McRae wrote:
> Anything else that needs tracked should be added to the release wiki
> page.  E.g. this was mentioned on the mailing list as targeted for 2.20:

I would like to reiterate what I already added to the page, that the
Linux kernel now has file descriptor based locking and it's in the
stable kernel. Therefore we should be exposing those flags and adding
their documentation to our manual.

Michael Kerrisk and I have reviewed this a couple of times over, and
I need to do a final pass and commit for Jeff Layton. Nobody has objected
to this, and it seems like a good feature.

One might argue that the sneaky way to get new APIs into glibc is to
force them through the kernel side via existing syscalls and new flags ;-)

Cheers,
Carlos.