Re: zonefile changes and long running processes.

On 05/16/2014 11:31 AM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> No, I mean that if one thread calls localtime_r while another thread
> is calling tzset, localtime_r might not see either the old or the new
> zoneinfo table; it might see some "in-between" table and produce a
> timestamp that doesn't correspond to either the old or the new
> zoneinfo table. As I understand it, POSIX allows such an
> implementation, so long as localtime_r doesn't crash or
> infinite-loop.

Yeah, we never want that to be the case in glibc, and we'd probably
adjust the safety notes to indicate MT-safe and that you either get
the old or new one. Thus we would guarantee more than POSIX because
the alternative is not being able to detect the latest installed
zoneinfo (becuase you can't call tzset in an MT environment that is
also running localtime_r).

Cheers,
Carlos.