Re: [RFC] Make _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 default.

On Wed 19 Mar 2014 01:35:32 Paul Eggert wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > so wouldn't the right answer be to import the latest gnulib version ?
>
> It's better to decouple the issue of altering fts.h from the issue of
> the _FILE_OFFSET_BITS default.

sure ... i don't plan on fts.h holding up my evil plans :)

> Hardly anybody uses fts.h so this is no big deal.  We could leave fts.h
> alone; all that would happen if the _FILE_OFFSET_BITS default changes is
> that in theory more compilations would fail, but there'd be no run-time
> misbehavior.

i recall seeing maybe two packages that used fts.h so far.  but last time i
looked was when i was running x86/32bit as my main desktop and used
_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 in my own global build settings.

> Better, we could install something like the attached patch,
> independently of any change to the _FILE_OFFSET_BITS default.  This
> patch fixes the bug that one cannot do the following on a 64-bit host:
>
>    #define _FILE_OFFSET_BITS 64
>    #include <fts.h>
>
> which is an unnecessary restriction, as off_t is 64 bits anyway so
> <fts.h> should work.  If we install the attached patch and change the
> _FILE_OFFSET_BITS default, the only fts.h compilations that would stop
> working would be compilations on 32-bit hosts that don't set
> _FILE_OFFSET_BITS to 32; that's good enough and is probably the least
> intrusive change that we can easily do.

i have gotten complaints in the past that glibc provided half-baked support
for static assert when building with <gcc-4.6.  so this would make those
people happy too :).
-mike