Re: PLEASE FIX NOW! make check-abi exits zero on failure

On 03/17/2014 04:13 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
On 03/17/2014 06:50 PM, Roland McGrath wrote:
Whatever changes whoever made need to be fixed or reverted right away.
'make check-abi' exits with status zero when there are failures.
This is unacceptable.

If the people who broke this don't fix this it quickly, I'll start randomly
reverting changes that look related.

Not for me?

[carlos@koi glibc-wundef]$ make -k check

What happens if you run "make check-abi"? Note that Roland isn't running "make check", so in particular he's not going to be running the code that produces the summary result and does "if grep "FAIL"; then exit 1" on it.

My guess is that this zero exit happens for any make target that runs a specific test. The discussion on the "Do not terminate default test runs on test failure" thread [1] specifically referred to "make check", and did not discuss behavior for other make targets. It is unfortunate that this additional requirement was not realized in the patch review.

As a potential solution strategy, I would suggest using a target-specific variable value to only set the "stop on test failure" flag to false when we are executing the literal "make check" target.

- Brooks

[1] E.g., https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2014-03/msg00251.html