Re: [RFC] Make _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 default.

On 03/05/2014 10:37 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
Doesn't it changes the definition of off_t and ino_t as well? While these aren't supposed to be used in public header files, such a change seems fairly risky to me.

Why so? Can you give an example of a realistic risk that might happen in a typical application? The examples I can think of are either so contrived that they wouldn't be worth worrying about in practice, or they're already a problem and changing the default _FILE_OFFSET_BITS wouldn't make things significantly worse. For example, an application that blindly copies an off_t value to an int variable is already busted on 64-bit platforms when files are large, even without the change.