Re: Temporarily avoid PPC64 LE bootstrap by making GLIBC_2.17 and GLIBC_2.18 equivalent.

Adam Conrad <adconrad@0c3.net> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 02:55:43PM -0500, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>>
>> Working with Adhemerval we discovered that we need a binutils
>> patch to do the equivalent action but for the static linker.

Injecting a cross-compiled libgcc_s.so and libstdc++.so should be enough
to get things started.

> Wouldn't this only apply if we wanted to statically link against
> our old pre-symbol-change libc, which seems like exactly what we
> don't want anyway?

It's the other way round.  A static library does not have version
references, but all existing shared libraries have references to glibc
symbols with the GLIBC_2.18 version, which won't exist any more.  Since
you need libstdc++ and libgcc_s (which are part of gcc) just for
building gcc you have a chicken-and-egg problem.

> Maybe I'm missing the subtlety here, but if I install a libc with
> the new 2.17 symbols, and an ld.so that allows the rewrite trick
> on symbol resolution so dynamically linked executables continue
> to function, why would I care about ld's behaviour going forward?

The dynamic linker only controls the runtime behaviour.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org