Re: Release branch maintenance - Was: glibc 2.19 status?

On 02/04/2014 01:02 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 04, 2014 21:08:55 Allan McRae wrote:
>> I suppose I was not very clear, but it was implied that only patches
>> that have landed on master and are bug fixes are eligible for pulling to
>> the release branch.  My point was that whether distros consider it worth
>> backporting for their package is a good indicator of the need to
>> cherry-pick to the release branch.
>
> it would mean bypassing the branch manager to a degree.  for the most part,
> distros are only backporting simple fixes, but that isn't true for all of
> them.  sometimes people do wholesale backports of things that don't belong
> (RedHat's comes to mind).  we could be more proactive though when we cherry
> pick back something with dropping a note to the list for branch inclusion.
> -mike

I think we're killing the idea before it ever had a chance to survive.

As a start we probably want to mock up a timeline of which release
branches are going to be used by whom and pool our resources into
seeing if we can make the best release branch X out of the people
participating in that release branch.

I have interests in maintaining 2.17 for a long time.

Doesn't this make sense? It's not like glibc is a differentiating
reason for someone to pick a distro :-)

Cheers,
Carlos.