Re: prlimit64: inconsistencies between kernel and userland

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013, David Miller wrote:

> From: Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>
> Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 22:37:56 +0100
>
> > Any news about this issue? It really starts to causes a lot of issues in
> > Debian. I have added a Cc: to libc people so that we can also hear their
> > opinion.
>
> I had the same exact problem on sparc several years ago, I simply fixed
> the glibc header value, it's the only way to fix this.
>
> Yes, that means you then have to recompile applications and libraries
> that reference this value.

Surely you can create new symbol versions for getrlimit64 and setrlimit64,
with the old versions just using the 32-bit syscalls (or otherwise
translating between conventions, but using the 32-bit syscalls is the
simplest approach)?  I see no need to break compatibility with existing
binaries.

As I noted in
<https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-ports/2006-05/msg00020.html>, at that time
the value of RLIM64_INFINITY for o32/n32 was purely a glibc convention the
kernel didn't see at all.  It's only with the use of newer syscalls that
this glibc convention is any sort of problem.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com