Re: Remove trailing whitespace

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013, Ondrej Bilka wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 08:48:19PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> > I have committed as obvious this patch to remove most trailing whitespace
> > in libc.  This only covers files for which the main libc ChangeLog
> > applies (I fixed ports separately), and only those where I was very
> > confident in the safety of the fixes, but that still deals with most of
> > the instances of unwanted trailing whitespace (which causes trouble when
> > you modify or copy a line with the trailing whitespace on it, so the git
> > hooks complain about the whitespace which now counts as "new").
> >

> There are only four source files with trailing spaces left:
>
> libidn/gunicomp.h
> libidn/gunidecomp.h
> libidn/nfkc.c
> libidn/rfc3454.c
>
> Do they qualify as obvious or are they somewhat problematic?

Splitting by directory, especially where separate ChangeLogs are used,
seems useful to keep patch size down.

Remaining there are (excluding test data):

ChangeLog.1
ChangeLog.2
ChangeLog.3
ChangeLog.4
ChangeLog.9
libidn/gunicomp.h
libidn/gunidecomp.h
libidn/nfkc.c
libidn/rfc3454.c
mach/err_boot.sub
mach/err_ipc.sub
mach/err_mach.sub
manual/dir
manual/texinfo.tex
po/cs.po
ports/sysdeps/hppa/Makefile
timezone/africa
timezone/asia
timezone/australasia
timezone/leapseconds
timezone/northamerica
timezone/southamerica

Rearrangements of old ChangeLogs are under discussion.  The mach/*.sub
patch <http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2013-06/msg00187.html> is
pending review from someone who knows how these files are used and
hopefully can test a Hurd build.  manual/dir should probably be removed
(install-info has been able to create a dir file itself since version
3.12, according to Texinfo's NEWS file).  When I last updated texinfo.tex
from upstream I removed the trailing spaces git thought were new, to allow
the commit to pass the git hooks, but not existing trailing spaces;
probably it should be updated from upstream (with appropriate testing) and
all trailing spaces removed this time.  cs.po is for the relevant
translation team to fix.  ports/sysdeps/hppa/Makefile is, as I noted on
libc-ports, a case where it should be tested that no changes to the
libraries result from removing a trailing space from a variable value.
And while the timezone data is now just used as test inputs, as previously
discussed it may be better to have current data anyway so the tests
reflect more closely how people will actually use the timezone code (and
the current upstream version does not have the trailing whitespace).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com