Re: ChangeLog entry complexity

Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:
> Does anyone feel strongly that detailed change logs are limiting our
> acceptance of new developers to the community?

As a once-in-a-century-drive-by contributor, yes.

I strongly prefer detailed Linux kernel-style commit messages
documenting _why_, and only the "how" when it is not obvious.

As others have said, git is fast and powerful.  There is no benefit to
reading a static ChangeLog when one can run git blame/log with the
appropriate options to get exactly what you need (and most importantly,
quickly filter out what one does not want).

ChangeLog entries also lead to needing extra tools like
git-merge-changelog instead of just doing a plain cherry-pick/am.

> If anything the most difficult bar if the copyright assignment,
> the rest is just work.

Copyright assignment is also a pain.  Plenty of *GPL projects
get by just fine without it.