Re: non-prototype function definitions

Thanks for doing the research.  I hadn't realized
that the GCC extension predated glibc 2.  It seems clear
that if the GCC extension caused any ABI incompatibilities,
we've been living with these incompatibilities
since "forever" so they are now the standard.

This suggests that we change the documentation to say that the
glibc 2 ABI assumes (and has always assumed) prototypes,
even if this wasn't the original intent.  And in the glibc
source we can simply replace old-style with prototyped definitions.