Re: localedata (non-)copyright policy from FSF

Those who actually read the FSF message saw that it said, "we are
going to set about contacting the contributors to let them know that
we want to update the licensing of these files to..."  Note "we want
to", not "we will (no matter what contributors might have to say about
it)", despite the SFLC lawyers' determination that we are legally
entitled to do so.

We could legally have done so without even mentioning it to the
contributors.  But we did not, precisely because we don't want our
past and potential future contributors to be unhappy with us.  We
respect and appreciate the work they have done and want to make sure
that they feel appreciated and respected for their contributions even
while we clarify and simplify the legalities.

Keld's response reads to me as if he got bent out of shape by the
notion, perhaps because he got the impression we were doing something
unilaterally that would detract from the credit he would receive for
his work or from the guarantee of free sharing that he intended.  We
are certainly not doing any such things.  That's why we are discussing
the issue here rather than just acting immediately on the sound legal
advice we have received.  We have both a moral obligation and a strong
desire to give credit for the work done, regardless of whether there
is any legal obligation to do so.

Of course Keld and all other contributors are free to seek their own
legal advice, and wise to do so.  As the letter clearly said, the FSF
is seeking to get in contact with all the contributors of localedata
so the situation can be explained and their concerns addressed (legal
or otherwise).  The end results we intend to achieve are that all the
contributors understand the legal details and feel confident that
their work was, is, and will continue to be greatly appreciated and
that we will always give clear credit for the work done; and that
users and packagers of the data (and their lawyers) are confident that
it has a well-defined and straightforward legal status that does not
limit their freedom to use and share it.

Thanks,
Roland