Re: Redefinition of struct in6_addr in <netinet/in.h> and <linux/in6.h>

On 01/18/2013 04:22 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 16 January 2013 22:15:38 David Miller wrote:
>>> From: Carlos O'Donell <carlos@systemhalted.org>
>>> Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 21:15:03 -0500

>>> I think we should shoot for a non-glibc-centric solution.
>>>
>>> I can't imagine that other libc's won't have the same exact problem
>>> with their netinet/in.h conflicting with the kernel's, redefining
>>> structures like in6_addr, that we'd want to provide a protection
>>> scheme for here as well.
>>
>> yes, the kernel's use of __GLIBC__ in exported headers has already caused
>> problems in the past.  fortunately, it's been reduced down to just one case
>> now (stat.h).  let's not balloon it back up.
>> -mike
>
> I also see coda.h has grown a __GLIBC__ usage.
>
> In the next revision of the patch I created a single libc-compat.h header
> which encompasses the logic for any libc that wants to coordinate with
> the kernel headers.

> It's simple enough to move all of the __GLIBC__ uses into libc-compat.h,
> then you control userspace libc coordination from one file.

How about just deciding on a single macro/symbol both the
kernel and libc (any libc that needs this) define?  Something
like both the kernel and userland doing:

#ifndef __IPV6_BITS_DEFINED
#define __IPV6_BITS_DEFINED
define in6_addr, sockaddr_in6, ipv6_mreq, whatnot
#endif

So whichever the application includes first, wins.
Too naive?  I didn't see this option being discarded, so
not sure it was considered.

--
Pedro Alves