Re: compiler standards (and/or min gcc version) supported with installedheaders ?

On 01/03/2013 05:25 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
On 01/03/2013 10:58 AM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jan 2013, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

Thus for example we could get rid of the GCC 2.91 check for __builtin_memset
in sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/bits/sched.h and clean that up.

That raises a separate question - shall we assume that non-GCC compilers have __builtin_memset as well?

Otherwise the cleanup would be to change the got to use
GLIBC_HAVE_BUILTIN_MEMSET - and define that for GCC.

Defining __GLIBC_HAVE_BUILTIN_MEMSET seems logically right. (You can't just define __builtin_memset to memset because string.h may not be included. So you don't really clean much up in this case because you still have both cases in the code - and given that there's still a GCC conditional somewhere, there doesn't really seem to be much advantage in the test being __GNUC__ instead of __GNUC_PREREQ (2, 91).)

Good question about alternative compilers.

I have no objection to the cleanup that makes this a feature.

I guess the next step then is to enumerate supported compilers
and then decide if the feature is to be assumed or not, and then
follow that up with further cleanup.

right now, I would only mention GCC as supported compiler - and add others only if somebody steps up that is using that compiler and will take care of the support on glibc. nevertheless, I would be conservate and handle GCC extensions as extensions - something we need to test for before using it.

Andreas