compiler standards (and/or min gcc version) supported with installed headers ?

seems like something we should have spelled out in the manual and/or faq.
what standards do we want to support with installed headers ?  and similarly,
what min gcc version ?

going by features.h, it seems like we support very old standards, which means
it should be easy to support old gcc versions too.  a quick grep on my system
shows we have __GNUC_PREREQ(2,0).
-mike