Re: If glibc had a logo what would it be?

Hello,

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 5:52 PM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:
> From: William Pitcock <nenolod@dereferenced.org>
> Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 14:04:19 -0600
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@systemhalted.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> If glibc had a logo what would it be?
>>
>> Honestly, I think that it would be better to spend time on integrating
>> strlcpy() and strlcat() so that a billion programs don't have to carry
>> stubs for them anymore due to GNU arrogance than making a logo.
>>
>> I also generally don't see the point in having a logo for a C library;
>> logos make sense for GUI apps, which a C library is not.
>
> Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?

No.  The arrogance is very well-documented.

If you want to "build a community of people who like GLIBC" - making
it where GLIBC is not the odd duckling for downstream developers (you
know, the people who write the code that GLIBC exists to run?) would
be a great start to improving the perception of GLIBC amongst
developers downstream of it.

I will be more than happy to submit patches adding strlcpy/strlcat, if
people will accept them, but it seems a giant waste of time, because
someone will surely say "we don't like this" or whatever.  Well, guess
what?  Nobody likes the alternatives proposed by the GLIBC maintainers
every time this is discussed, so perhaps the functions should be added
now instead of coming up with crappy reasons to avoid doing so.

But hey, logo contests are fun, right?  Guess what's not fun: having
to have autotools macros just for finding if strlcpy/strlcat is
supported, when it is supported on every other platform that I
officially support.  And why is this?  Is there some reason why I must
do this?  Well, not really considering that uClibc ships
strlcpy/strlcat, and I am pretty sure Musl does as well.

But as previously mentioned, having cute animals as a mascot, and
contests to determine the logo are surely fun, I guess.

William