Re: GLIBC tree is frozen

From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 08:38:23 +0100

> On 11/29/2012 04:06 AM, David Miller wrote:
>>
>> I hereby declare the general development freeze of the glibc
>> tree.
>>
>> Please do not make any changes which will require ULPs or check-abi
>> updates for port maintainers.
>
> David, so which changes are fine? I just committed the ia_FR locale
> which doesn't touch either. Hope that was ok.
>
> Do you want to approve every single patch now or are you fine with
> patches that fix bugs but do not change ULPS/check-abi?

I think people should use their best judgment, and if in doubt we
discuss things as a group.

I can say with certainty that it is OK to install any change which,
for example, fixes a regression introduced during the development of
2.17

A fix for other bugs needs more scrutiny.  We'd have to consider how
invasive or risky the fix is, and also how many users are exposed to
the bug and to what extent.

New functionality changes are definitely not appropriate.  This is
especially the case since we have to look into making any necessary
translation updates soon.

If there is something which has been discussed actively before the
freeze and is just going through final reviews, I am willing to
consider inclusion.  But I am hoping these situations are rare.