Re: Ping Re: Fix strtod integer/buffer overflow (bug 14459)

On 08/16/2012 05:58 PM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
Ping.  This patch
<http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-08/msg00202.html> is pending
review - it seems we have more people interested in devising
procedures for hypothetical external reports of security bugs, than in
actually reviewing patches for security bugs.  There was one off-list
request for assertions in str_to_mpn that the number doesn't cause
overflow there, so this patch version adds them.  Tested x86 and
x86_64.

These asserts do not fire in my testing (I tried the test case and the asserts in str_to_mpn). Do we disable asserts, or does the compiler optimize it away for some reason?