Re: [glibc wiki] Update of "Testing/ABI_checker" by AndreyPonomarenko

Hi!

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 19:09:33 +0400, Andrey Ponomarenko <aponomarenko@rosalab.ru> wrote:
> Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> > First of all, Andrey, many thanks for creating
> > <http://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Testing/ABI_checker>!

> > With my GNU/Hurd
> > hat on, I'd like this ABI checking be done for GNU/Hurd, too.  (Please
> > tell if you're interested in helping with that.)
>
> Do you have a running instance of GNU/Hurd? The ABI checking process
> should be exactly the same for this system, so could you please check if
> it works?

I put it onto my ever-growing TODO list.  ;-)

> I will try to install it too but I need some time for that.

If you are interested, we also offer shell accounts:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/public_hurd_boxen.html>, as well as a
disk image that can be used with Xen/KVM/QEMU/Virtualbox/etc.:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/running/debian.html>.

> > Are you in a position to get this generalized/made explicit at
> > <http://upstream-tracker.org/>, and would they be willing to host
> > GNU/Hurd data, too?
>
> I suppose most of the ABI issues in libraries are common for all
> operating systems, so we are targeted mostly at including of new
> libraries rather than supporting different environments. We have not
> noticed that all tests are performed on GNU/Linux for the same reason.

Yeah, that is probably (and hopefully!) true for most of all libraries --
after all, they're meant to build upon the abstraction layer that glibc
defines.

GrÃÃe,
 Thomas