Re: [RFC] Spam on the glibc wiki.

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.com> wrote:
> Closing is one option - don't allow new accounts, create them manually if
> needed.

This works if we know who is requesting a new account.  But what's to
prevent Bob McBobberson from asking for a new account and then using
it to spam the wiki?

I encountered this with another wiki I contributed to at one point and
the perpetrator was actually an SEO company out of India that paid
individuals to manually create wiki accounts and spam the wikis.  We
ended up closing down registration to only people we knew.

> I would consider that for some time and trying to lift the restriction to
> see whether we're still under attack,

Yeah, it's better than nothing.

Ryan