Re: PATCH: Don't use header files in glibc configure

On Fri, 25 May 2012, H.J. Lu wrote:

> +# Glibc should not depend on any header files
> +AC_DEFUN([_AC_INCLUDES_DEFAULT_REQUIREMENTS],
> +  [m4_divert_text([DEFAULTS],
> +    [ac_includes_default='/* none */'])])

Is it really necessary to use autoconf internals like this, or can it be
done with documented interfaces?  For example, I fixed one case with

2012-03-07  Joseph Myers  <joseph@codesourcery.com>

        * sysdeps/i386/configure.in (cpuid.h): Use AC_CHECK_HEADER with no
        default includes instead of AC_HEADER_CHECK.
        * sysdeps/i386/configure: Regenerated.

 - do other macros using the defaults have similar ways of fixing this?

If we do need to use autoconf internals, you should ask the autoconf
maintainers to add an official supported way of changing the defaults so
that when we move to a new autoconf release we no longer need to use
internals like that.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com