Re: Flatten sysdeps/unix/bsd/bsd4.4 into sysdeps/unix/bsd

On Thu, 17 May 2012, David Miller wrote:

> Not to mention the well understood extreme computational complexity
> this scheme has in the context of make due to the amount of prefix
> rules that get made to support this.

I have the idea that you could reduce the number of rules rather a lot by
arranging for sysd-rules to contain rules only where the sysdeps directory
in question contains at least one file with the given suffix.  I don't
know how much that would help (but, for example, rules using .s sources as
opposed to .S are useless for every architecture other than alpha and
hppa) or whether that reduction translates into less time spent in "make",
but it seems at least plausible that it would give a useful build speedup
until we have any more general solution.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com