Re: The state of glibc libm

VL> sinf being slower than sin is surprising

Some weeks back I wrote a simple app to output a couple of waveforms as
float samples (I encased it in a tiny script which piped the output to
sox to create a wav).  I found that converting it to work on and output
doubles improved performance from around 2.2 sec per minute of output to
around 0.3 sec per minute for a simple tan(sin(t)) waveform.

That is using glibc-2.14.1 on amd64 on a 2800MHz K10, compiled with
gcc-4.6.2 with -O2 and the graphite -floop-... options.

Some improvements have landed for the float versions of libm since.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6