Re: [Patch] Adding fedfs to /etc/rpc

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> I don't know what you mean by supporting NIS.  The code in libnss_nis*
> can stay as-is until libtirpc is up to snuff.  At that point that
> library can be a build prerequisite and the DSOs can be linked with
> it.  No change needed for now.

I think making libtirpc a build dependency is bad - in general circular
dependencies should be avoided where possible - as it makes bootstrapping
unduly hard.  Better would be to separate libnss_nis* out completely into
a separate package, not built as part of the glibc build at all; that
separate package *would* then have libtirpc as a built dependency.

(I don't know what the right approach would be for the xdecrypt use in
nss/nss_files/files-key.c, for example, to avoid libtirpc being needed to
use nss_files - perhaps a dlopen of libtirpc much like some library
functionality dlopens libgcc_s.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com