Re: Updating NEWS for fixed bugs

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Joseph S. Myers
<joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> Recent practice appears to have been that the lists of fixed bugs in NEWS
> get updated by the person committing a fix for a bug, either in the same
> commit or shortly afterwards. Â(This has also applied for bugs in Bugzilla
> that requested cleanups or features: anything entered in Bugzilla whether
> or not strictly a "bug" in the code.) ÂNEWS changes have not had ChangeLog
> entries lately.

I assume we want to continue having the bug fixer be the one to update
the NEWS and continue not requiring a ChangeLog entry?

> I've just updated NEWS for two recent fixes (bugs 4822, 11494); please try
> to remember this update (and the [BZ #n] notation in the ChangeLog) when
> committing changes. ÂObviously the list won't be perfect - sometimes bug
> entries will be forgotten or it will only be noticed after a release that
> a bug has been fixed - but hopefully we can keep it reasonably complete.

Here's the commit you're referring to:

http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commitdiff;h=0a0a5bd4f16023fc35abdca5f7dc2784b3a482d5

I notice in this case you've updated the NEWS separately from the
patch.  Is this what we want to do in general, or only if we forget to
update it with the patch?

Ryan