Re: C11 bounds checking interfaces in glibc?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Andi Kleen wrote:

> Are there any plans to support the C11 bounds checking interfaces (Appendix K)
> in glibc? I don't see anything in git.
>
> I'm mainly interested in the string functions.

I don't think there are any plans; see
<http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2011-12/msg00066.html> for what I
said about them and
<http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2011-12/msg00064.html> for what
Roland said.  In essence, they are rather a mess and *most* of them (other
than the reentrant functions) probably are not desirable for use in new
code - but there are probably uses for them for compiling some existing
bodies of code that have been retrofitted with them.

I don't know to what extent it might make sense or be possible to put
these functions in a separate library from libc or indeed in an add-on,
though I suspect they are a bit too closely tied to other functions for
that.

Generally I think support for the various ISO C extensions and optional
features adding functions is a good thing - sometimes in add-ons where
appropriate.  (libdfp is an add-on - but libc still needs scanf hooks
interfaces to be added so that all the decimal floating-point support is
possible in an add-on.)  But obviously this depends on implementation
effort - some of these extensions are not exactly small projects to
support.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com