Re: Implementing C++1x and C1x atomics (really an aside on SFENCE)

On 8/20/09, Boehm, Hans <hans.boehm@hp.com> wrote:
> [...]

Hm.  I would expect that given the C++0x memory model, compilers could
be much more aggressive about using non-temporal stores, potentially
improving performance substantially.  That is, it may be better to
accept a slightly less efficient ABI for today's compilers to gain a
more efficient ABI for tomorrow's compilers.

> It would be really nice if everyone somehow managed to agree on this.
> Inconsistency here, probably even between Windows and Linux, seems
> likely to result in really subtle bugs.
>
> Note that this also affects correctness of spinlock implementations,
> not just atomics.  A simple store to release a lock doesn't work if
> the critical section may contain unfenced non-temporal stores.

Yes, but the spinning acquire doesn't require the fence, only the the
release.  So, is this additional instruction a performance problem?

> >   SSE2        MFENCE
> >   late AMD64  CMPXCHG16B
> >
> > So, we do not get to ignore the problem as a relic of 80386.

This email seems to have gotten side-tracked by my filters.  Sorry
for the delay.

--
Lawrence Crowl