project branches in the glibc git repository

On Roland's suggestion, I am following up on this list with a query
about project branches in the glibc repository.   I would like to know
if it would be acceptable for IBMers working on glibc to keep their
development patches in an "ibm" type of vendor branch, similar to those
used in the binutils and gcc trees?  This would make it easy to track
the trunk and to publish the work for others to see as it develops.

All FSF copyright requirements would of course be observed.  No patch
would be committed that would not be equally acceptable on mainline with
respect to copyright assignment.  Branch conventions might need to be
discussed.  The binutils conventions seem reasonable to me as a first
pass.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Ben