Re: onwards to git

Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> writes:
>
>>> I would also suggest to filter out all commits with the "file ... was
>>> initially add on branch ..." commit message.
>>
>> It appears they have been automatically elided, probably
>> because the patch portion is empty:
>>
>>     $ go glibc1; git log --raw |grep initially.added
>>     $
>>
>> Do you still see vestiges in glibc1?
>
> See 8ff80d44, for example.  The commit log has been lost.

I see it, now:

    There are 242 of those on master.
    $ g log |grep -c initially.added
    242

    # total commits:
    $ g log|grep -c '^commit '
    64769
      242
    ------
    64527

Since each of those has what git calls an empty tree
(i.e., no delta) I remove them with this command:

    git filter-branch --commit-filter \
      'git_commit_non_empty_tree "$@"'

That also removed 24 additional no-op commits.

Then I did this:

  g reset --hard HEAD

then did this to remove all the old refs
(thus halving the repo size back to around 90MB):

   clone file://$PWD/glibc glibc-new
   cd glibc-new && g gc --prune=now

then from the new one, did this:

  glibc-reconstruct-commits master

and pushed the result to glibc1.git:

  http://sources.redhat.com/git/gitweb.cgi?p=glibc1.git;a=summary

BTW, the above was initially converted from a freshly-sync'd CVS
repository, so now it includes the latest commits.

This latest commit-aggregation run exposed a small problem with
the conversion script: when the most recent commit on a branch
doesn't modify a ChangeLog file, it (and maybe a few preceding ones)
was not aggregated.  I fixed that.

I haven't touched glibc2.git and don't intend to do any more with it.