Re: glibc-2.8 tarballs?

On Tue, 20 May 2008, Josh Boyer wrote:

> I think there is more of a need than that around the "release"
> process.  Making a single release tarball is great for release
> boundaries, but if nobody is actively maintaining the branch in CVS
> it's sort of pointless.

 Distributors (as well as whoever is interested in) will cherry-pick and
back-port changes they deem important from the mainline anyway.  Some
other major GNU projects do not do much on release branches after a
release has been launched (i.e. tarballs published) either and that seems
to work with everybody.  Pieces of software I have specifically in mind
are GDB and binutils -- once a release has been made changes are applied
to release branches if they fix a critical error only.

  Maciej