Re: vtrelocs: large/modular C++ app speedup ...

Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> writes:

> * It seems that this is not backward compatible--an executable built
>   in this way will not work if the dynamic linker does not know about
>   it.  The section should have the SHF_OS_NONCONFORMING bit set.

I wonder if it could be made backwards compatible. As in keep the old
style relocations too, but the new linker would not process them
when seeing the new special relocations.

That would make it much easier to deploy this in the field because
you wouldn't need two sets of executables one for the new linkers
and one for old linkers during the transition time.

The only drawback would be some more memory and some more disk space
for the old relocations (and a little more IO bandwidth), but all of
those are cheap.

-Andi