Re: disableing locale completely.

seema ravandale <seema.ravandale@azingo.com> wrote:
Is there a way, or any option already available in libc not to get locale data files installed?

Hi Seema,

Don't you build glibc into a separate installation directory and then
copy from there into your toolchain's sysroot?

In that step, you can strip out whatever you don't want.

Why would you care about the locale stuff being in the toolchain
anyway? Disk space on development workstations is cheap. Where
space may still be premium, though, is on a small, embedded Linux
system which only have flash storage.

In that case, you may want to scrub unwanted stuff like localization
from /all/ of the packages, not just glibc.

In the cross-compiled Linux distro that I maintain, this is handled
by the packaging scripts. The binary packages themselves are
built completely, with all of their locale support, so that we have
the choice of including that if we want.  Besides, it's too much of
a chore for each package to figure out exactly how to configure it not
to build or install locale materials (if it can be done at all),
and then patch it if it doing so breaks its build, haha.

It's our scripts which put a filesystem together, will scrub the
locale information out as they process each tarball. We gave
the task of developing this to a  co-op student who dug up
a locale-cleaning script (from Debian, I think) which he used
as a subroutine.

Google for "localepurge"