This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
PowerPC malloc alignment
- From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at false dot org>
- To: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Cc: Steven Munroe <sjmunroe at us dot ibm dot com>
- Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:52:40 -0400
- Subject: PowerPC malloc alignment
The malloc alignment on PowerPC (32-bit) was bumped up to 16 bytes
just before glibc 2.4 and then immediately reverted. I eventually
found the discussion of the reversion here:
Jakub, were there more lurking problems than just the one you fixed in
the patch attached to that bug?
The current status breaks, among other things, GDB when built with
"-maltivec -mabi=altivec -mlong-double-128". A 16-byte union
including a long double is allocated in the heap and copied using
lvx / stvx, which require a 16-byte aligned address.