Re: [...] deprecated use of "\v"

Roland McGrath wrote:
> The point is that the \v separator is part of the argp functions'
> interface. Ours are only some uses of that interface you've
> happened to notice.  The translation tools should help
> translators serve what the code actually needs, not encourage
> them to harras the code maintainers about their code choices.

Harass?  You mean as in "disturb, bother, pester, attack, persecute,
or torment"?  Come on!  I just pointed out a coding inconsistency,
and provided a patch to handle identical situations in an identical
way.  Isn't that allowed any more?  Sure, it's pedantic.  But
harassment?  Hrrm!

> gettext can write something to inform translators that \v is
> special here and must be preserved.

Okay, that seems doable, even without writing messages in a special
way.

Benno