Re: [...] deprecated use of "\v"

Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> > Attached patch separates the docstring from the extra help text
> > also for 'gencat', 'getent', 'locale', and 'sprof'.
>
> No, we won't do that.  The problem is msgfmt.  We never work
> around broken tools and msgfmt is broken if it doesn't allow
> strings with \v in it.

The gettext tools can handle \v and other escapes just fine.  The
reason that msgmerge warns that "internationalized messages should
not contain the `\v' escape sequence" is that translators cannot be
expected to know what \v does, and thus might drop it from their
translation.  (This is what I did myself, in the beginning.)

By the way, according to Bruno Haible it was you yourself who added
this warning to gettext in 1995.

Also, since nss/makedb.c, debug/pcprofiledump.c, iconv/iconv_prog.c
and iconv/iconvconfig.c use 'more_help()' instead of \v to display
the bug-reporting message, why not at least make elf/sprof.c and
locale/programs/locale.c handle that message in precisely the same
way?

Benno