Re: RFC: ldconfig speedup

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 10:12:14AM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> my colleague Michael Schröder improved ldconfig with an incremental mode
> using a second cache that records inode number and times of a library
> and then skips a library if it notices that the library is unchanged.
>
> His patch adds a second cache below the current two ones.  I'm appending
> his patch - and would like to have your comments on it.  I plan to
> rework the patch this week and get it ready for inclusion and would
> therefore need to know what you think about it.
>
> Also, should we add a third cache - or just increase the CACHE_VERSION
> and change the second cache to include the new data?

Can't we just stick the extra data into a separate file in /etc, which
will go along with /etc/ld.so.cache?  This kind of data is only useful
for ldconfig itself and not for ld.so.  Enlarging it (especially adding
the data inline into the second cache, but to some extent even appending
it to the file) will affect ld.so performance.

	Jakub