Re: about glibc qsort

On 5/6/07, belazougui djamel <djamel8192@yahoo.fr> wrote:
I am writing again about glibc qsort algorithms and its performance. I
don't know exactly what to do to attract attention on this subject, but
speed of GNU qsort  could greatly improved.

I would recommend the following course of action:

1. Choose a benchmark
2. Run benchmark on the original algorithm.
3. Implement your changes to glibc.
4. Run benchmark on the new implementation.
5. Repeat 2 and 4 for different architectures e.g. power, sparc, itanium.
6. Verify your implementation conforms to the related standards.
7. Verify the glibc testsuite runs without regressions.
8. Seek a copyright assignment from the FSF so you can contribute your
changes to glibc.
9. Post your patch, changelog entry, glibc testsuite results,
benchmark results with baselines for multiple architectures, proof of
standards conformance, and status of the copyright.
10. Wait for review.

Cheers,
Carlos O'Donell.