Re: Google group for generic System V Application Binary Interface

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 07:11:25AM -0700, H. J. Lu wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 02:53:30PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 03:32:45PM -0700, H. J. Lu wrote:
> > > I created a Google group to discuss generic ABI:
> > >
> > > http://groups.google.com/group/generic-abi
> > >
> > > It is by membership only. Let me know if you are interested.
> >
> > What's this supposed to be?  Reinventing the doomed iBCS2?
>
> Not at all. It is for generic ABI which is processor independent.
> However, the current i386 psABI doesn't really reflect/cover what
> have been added to i386 like MMX and SSE. Also gcc uses 16byte
> stack alignment, instead of 4byte, for SSE. Should we create a
> Google group for ia32 psABI?

Is this supposed to be for gcc/binutils, or is it supposed to be
processor-independent?  And why a closed list?  Please don't go
down the path of re-creating what we rebelled against when we started
egcs.  Also, if there's a need to crosspost a message betwen your
new list and a gcc or binutils list, the message will bounce.

If it is for the free toolchain, and you really feel that a new
list is needed because it crosses gcc/binutils boundaries, a new
list hosted off of gcc.gnu.org would be better than a list that
is polluted with Yahoo's ads.