Re: pthread_kill and invalid thread IDs

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 01:57:52PM -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> >This patch lets pthread_kill behave more robustly when handed invalid
> >thread
> >IDs.
>
> No way.  And your understanding of the POSIX discussions are wrong.
> There is no requirement to do the dirty job of the application and
> detect invalid thread IDs.  If we can determine an ID is wrong we could
> return ESRCH.  But we cannot and therefore we won't do any testing.

Could you (or someone else) please explain what in "if there is no
thread and never has been a thread it must fail" from the meeting
minutes, or "must fail" from the specification, allows this?

I'm sure you're right, but I'll still have to explain it to the user.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC