Re: feasibility of modifying Linux ld-linux.so to identify which mapped files are shared libraries

Ian> On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 09:44:59PM -0500, Ray Bryant wrote:
>> What kind of interface do you have in mind here?  I was thinking
>> along the lines of using a program to set some special bits (or add
>> a special section) to the elf header indicating that a
>> corresponding bit needed to be passed into mmap/madvise when the
>> segment was mapped into memory by the dynamic loader.

Ian> Yep, that's what I understood you to mean.

You can use soem of the architecture-specific flags in the program
header.  The Elf spec says these should be ignored if you don't
understand them, so backwards compatibility is guaranteed.

There are enough flag bits that one could encode several things in there.
--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately,  the political takes *forever*