Re: Supporting multiple gettext directories

Martin Pitt <martin@piware.de> writes:

> If a mo file is present in only one directory, it is used; if it is
> present in both, the file with the newest modification time is used.

This sounds strange.  Would you want the shell to search through PATH
looking for the most-recently modified executable?

> If glibc would support /usr/local/share/locale in addition to
> /usr/share/locale, then this would complete this namespace
> splitting.

glibc does support multiple directories, using bindtextdomain().
I realize this is not exactly what you asked for, but it sounds like
you're asking for the wrong thing.  Please don't go down the path of a
search based on last-modification time; there is a good reason that
this is not the tradition.