Re: Supporting multiple gettext directories

Hi!

Roland McGrath [2005-03-22  0:21 -0800]:
> > Because this would conflict with any software users compile on their
> > own (which usually installs into /usr/share/locale/. In a
> > packaging-based system (RPM, DEB) you cannot just overwrite arbitrary
> > files, because they will get lost with the next package upgrade.
>
> Sure sounds like a packaging issue to me.  I think you need to figure out
> how to make all your packages do what you want, rather than have them
> conflict with each other and provide parallel files that want to add some
> kludge to choose between.

Again, this is not a _packaging_ issue. We already solved the
inter-package conflicts by stripping the mo files from the original
packages and put them into the language pack.

The problem is software that users compile on their own. This is
outside of the scope of the packaging system. It is actually the very
same problem that the /usr and /usr/local hierarchies solve: one
namespace for packages, one for manually compiled software. If glibc
would support /usr/local/share/locale in addition to
/usr/share/locale, then this would complete this namespace splitting.
Currently, software installed into /usr/local is foced to pollute /usr
because of translations.

To clarify, I don't expect that you provide a patch in a matter of
days :-) I already have a working solution, I just want to know
whether there is a more efficient hook than DCIGETTEXT() and a
solution with less overhead.

Thanks,

Martin

--