Re: regarding the Solaris trap

* Andrew Walrond:

> Assuming this trap is real and intentional, you paint Sun in a most
> unpleasant light. And I assume this dire warning is equally
> applicable to the linux kernel?

The "Solaris trap" is as old as the GNU project.  Keep in mind that
Solaris source code has always been freely available.  That's why I
don't think it's a deliberate set-up.

For example, the following warning is contained in the GNU coding
standards:

Referring to Proprietary Programs

Don't in any circumstances refer to Unix source code for or during your
work on GNU!  (Or to any other proprietary programs.)

   If you have a vague recollection of the internals of a Unix program,
this does not absolutely mean you can't write an imitation of it, but
do try to organize the imitation internally along different lines,
because this is likely to make the details of the Unix version
irrelevant and dissimilar to your results.