Re: forestalling GNU incompatibility - proposal for binary relativedynamic linking

Edward Peschko wrote:
All this started because I needed to change some system headers for files
distributed by glibc. I don't have exclusive rights on the machine, nor do I have root on the machine

No problem, then! Simply build a private copy of glibc along with gcc (perhaps using the infamous crosstool script). Build your apps using that toolchain. Use cross-compiling techniques to avoid referencing any of the main system headers. I do this all the time; it's a piece of cake. As long as you build with an older glibc than the target system, you should be good to go.

You might want to take further discussion to the crossgcc mailing list
(see http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/ ), since the folks
there are familiar with these techniques.
- Dan