Re: multiple glibcs

Hey stepped out for a while, forgot about the post then, while googling, came accross it!

You can use a specific linker by running it, eg:

/newglibc/ld-linux.so.2 /path/to/binary

Thanks :), didn't realize this.

You can compile software using a variety of techniques to allow it to run
on older glibcs but no shipping software is currently compiled in this way.

Shux :(

Sorry ... GNU/Linux just sucks over a 56k line due mostly to huge platform
instability in the upper levels (glibc itself is relatively stable).

Yea, shux, again :(

thanks -mike

Thank you :)

Well back at the beginning of decemeber I kinda gave up and just installed glibc to /lib, and dealt with that darn error "symbol 'sys_siglist' has different size in shared object" error that numerous programs give out (make, man...)

But yestorday I was going about the process on the laptop again and kind of figured i'd try a few things again, so I did the make to /usr, and the install to /usr/local/glibc and when compiled:

export LD_RUN_PATH=/usr/local/glibc/lib
gcc -o test test.c -Xlinker -L/usr/local/glibc/lib -Xlinker --dynamic-linker = /usr/local/glibc/lib/ld-linux.so.2

And it worked! Now test is using the linker in /usr/local/glibc as with the c lib :) Yeh but I think there are still problems with the libraries in /usr/local/glibc trying to link with the libraries in /lib instead of /usr/local/glibc/lib so on larger programs I was getting symbol problems, maybe i'll get this to work later :)

--Dan Biggle