Re: PATCH: BZ 464: IA64 math functions aren't weak

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 10:07:33PM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> As usual, you are looking for cures of symptoms.  Never spending a
> second thinking about the whole thing.
>
> If another function uses the real implementation in the __ieee754_*
> function then just replacing the initial interface means you get
> inconsistent results.  What can be worse than that?

When user provides his/her own implmentation of a standard function,
we have to assume they know what they are doing and that is exactly
what they want.

> Face it, users have no right to replace any interface of the standard
> library.  There is no reason to add yet more baggage to make this
> possible.  If you have problems with the implementation of an interface,
> send improvements.  But just making things more cumbersome so that you
> can do something which is not at all allowed isn't going to happen.

Are you saying that user isn't allowed to provide his/her own cosf or
something like that? Can you point me to the standard which says that?

Thanks.

H.J.